Foreign nationals who wish to enter or stay in Mongolia must obtain visas of appropriate classification corresponding to the purpose of their visit. Nationals of those countries which have visa exemption agreements with Mongolia are exempted from visa requirements to the extent allowed by such agreements on reciprocal basis. For more information, please see Non-Visa Regime Countries section.
Depending on purpose of a visit, the following classes of visas are issued:
1. Diplomatic visa (D) for a foreign national holding a diplomatic passport, or UN staff or senior official holding red laissez-passer;
2. Official visa (A) for:foreign national holding an official passport, UN or its specialized agency's staff and senior official holding blue laissez-passer who is to visit on official business, or those holding ordinary passports who are to visit under the auspices of international organizations and family members of these people;
• foreign national holding either an official or ordinary passport who is to visit at the invitation of governmental or municipal organizations or political parties having seats in the Parliament;
• foreign national holding either an official or ordinary passport who is to work in the country under an intergovernmental
• journalist of a foreign government or international media organization holding either an official or ordinary passport;
3. Investor visa (T) for a foreign investor or senior official who is to work at the management level of a foreign invested
entity, its branch or representative office;
4. (O) visa for a foreign national who is to visit under the auspices of non-governmental organizations or international humanitarian organizations;
5. Business visa (B) for a foreign national who is visit for business purpose;
6. Student visa (S) for a foreign national who is to study, to pursue higher education or to exercise vocational training,
scientific research and study;
7. Tourist visa (J) for a foreign national who is to visit as a tourist irrespective of his/her passport type;
8. Employment visa (HG) for a foreign national who is to work under employment contract scheme irrespective of his/her passport type;
9. (SH) visa for a foreign national who is to visit to or stay in the country under the auspices of religious organization;
10. (TS) visa for an emigrant who holds migrant permission;
11. (H) visa for a foreign national whose family member is already residing in the country for a private purpose or who is to visit for private purpose.
Designation, validity term, duration of stay, and number of entries of visa are all different depending on class of a visa.
Based on an intended use of a visa or in other word, designation, there are "entry", "exit-entry" and "transit" visas. In general, everyone travelling less than 90 days is considered as a temporary visitor whereas those staying more than 90 days for either private or official purpose are considered as foreign residents. Private purposes include study, employment, investment, family-related stay, and other private businesses. Foreign diplomats, UN staffs, those of intergovernmental organizations and media people who are coming to work in their respective organizations in Mongolia more than 90 days and their family members are considered foreign residents for official purposes. Entry visa is issued for temporary visitors, residents for official and private purpose; exit-entry visa is for resident for official and private purpose those leaving Mongolia temporary with the intent to return; and transit visa is for those transiting through the territory of Mongolia.
Visa may be issued with single, double and multiple entries based on purpose of a visit and applicant's choice. Duration of stay for entry visa with either single or double entries is up to 90 days, for entry visa with multiple entries for temporary visitors is 30 days and transit visa with single or double entries is 10 days. For instance, entry visa for temporary visitors is valid for 90 days with 30 day duration of stay.
For the most often issued visas, tourist or business for staying up to 30 days in Mongolia, an applicant shall submit the following documents in person or by mail:
1. Passport valid for at least six months beyond the intended stay in Mongolia
2. Properly filled visa application which is downloadable from here
3. One photo with 3x4 centimeters size on white background
4. Visa processing fee /by means of only money order or certified check payable to the "Embassy of Mongolia"/
5. Visa processing fee:
- Single entry visa-90 CAD;
- Double entry visa-130 CAD
- Multiple entry visa with validity term of 6 month -200 CAD;
- Multiple entry visa with validity term of one year-400 CAD.
- Transit visa 60 CAD /single/ 120 CAD /double/
6. Prepaid, self-addressed return envelope should be included with the materials when getting a visa through mail (A certified mail with tracking number is recommended for safety reason)
7. A copy of onward ticket and a valid visa of a country of final destination is necessary in case of getting a transit visa.
Visa processing normally takes 3 business days upon submission or receipt of an application accompanied by all necessary documentation.
Should you have any further question or clarification, please do contact us at 613 569 3830 or e-mail at email@example.com
Important note: A foreign national staying more than 30 days in Mongolia must register at the Immigration of Mongolia within 7 business days of arriving in Mongolia. For more information, please visit the website of the Office: www.immigration.gov.mn