Canadian citizens who wish to enter or stay in Mongolia for up to 30 days on official, private business or tourism are exempted from visa requirement under the new regulation of visa policy effective from January 1, 2014.
Visa processing fee:
Expedited visa processing fee is doubled the normal fee.
Visa processing normally takes 3 business days upon submission or receipt of an application accompanied by all necessary documents. Important note: A foreign national staying more than 30 days in Mongolia must register with the Mongolian immigration agency or its local branches within 7 business days of arriving in Mongolia. For more information, please visit the website of the Office: www.immigration.gov.mn
Foreign nationals who wish to enter or stay in Mongolia must obtain visas of appropriate classification corresponding to the purpose of their visit. Nationals of those countries which have visa exemption agreements with Mongolia are exempted from visa requirements to the extent allowed by such agreements on reciprocal basis. For more information, please see “LIST OF VISA FREE COUNTRIES”. / List of visa free countries /
For the most often issued visas, tourist or business for staying up to 30 days in Mongolia, an applicant shall submit the following documents in person or by mail:
4. A copy of hotel booking or accommodation information in Mongolia
5. A copy of flight/train tickets
6. Proof of sufficient funds, i.e. bank statements for the recent six months (if necessary)
9. Prepaid, self-addressed return envelope /NOT Purolator Express/ should be included with the materials when getting a visa through mail (A certified mail with tracking number is recommended for safety reason)
10. A copy of onward ticket and a valid visa of a country of final destination is necessary in case of getting a transit visa.
Should you have any further question or clarification, please do contact us at 613 569 3830 or e-mail at email@example.com
Depending on purpose of a visit, following classes of visas are issued:
1. Diplomatic visa (D) for a foreign national holding a diplomatic passport, or UN staff or senior official holding red laissez-passer;
2. Official visa (A) for:
• foreign national holding an official passport, UN or its specialized agency’s staff and senior official holding blue laissez-passer who is to visit on official business, or those holding ordinary passports who are to visit under the auspices of international organizations and family members of these people;
• foreign national holding either an official or ordinary passport who is to visit at the invitation of governmental or municipal organizations or political parties having seats in the Parliament;
• foreign national holding either an official or ordinary passport who is to work in the country under an intergovernmental agreement scheme;
• A journalist of a foreign government or international media organization holding either an official or ordinary passport;
3. Investor visa (T) for a foreign investor or senior official who is to work at the management level of a foreign invested entity, its' branch or representative office;
4. (O) visa for a foreign national who is to visit under the auspices of non-governmental organizations or international humanitarian organizations;
5. Business visa (B) for a foreign national who is to visit for business purpose;
6. Student visa (S) for a foreign national who is to study, to pursue higher education or to exercise vocational training, scientific research and study;
7. Tourist visa (J) for a foreign national who is to visit as a tourist irrespective of his/her passport type;
8. Employment visa (HG) for a foreign national who is to work under employment contract scheme irrespective of his/her passport type;
9. (SH) visa for a foreign national who is to visit or to stay in the country under the auspices of religious organization;
10. (TS) visa for an emigrant who holds migrant permission;
11. (H) visa for a foreign national whose family member is already residing in the country for a private purpose or who is to visit for private purpose.
- "H" classification such as foreign citizen that is born from a Mongolian citizen is permitted to not receive confirmation for 90 day visa with a single or double entry.
Designation, validity term, duration of stay, and number of entries of visa is all different depending on class of a visa.
Based on an intended use of a visa or in other word, designation, there are “entry”, “exit-entry” and “transit” visas. In general, everyone travelling less than 90 days is considered as a temporary visitor whereas those staying more than 90 days for either private or official purpose are considered as foreign residents. Private purposes include study, employment, investment, family-related stay, and other private businesses. Foreign diplomats, UN staffs, those of intergovernmental organizations and media people who are coming to work in their respective organizations in Mongolia more than 90 days and their family members are considered foreign residents for official purposes. An Entry visa is issued for temporary visitors, residents for official and private purpose; exit-entry visa is for resident for official and private purpose those leaving Mongolia temporary with the intent to return; and transit visa is for those transiting through the territory of Mongolia.
Validity term of a visa, the length of time you are permitted to travel to Mongolia from the visa-issued date ranges between 90 days to one year depending on a number of entries of visa and so does duration or length of stay. Visa may be issued with single, double and multiple entries based on purpose of a visit and applicant’s choice. Duration of stay for entry visa with either single or double entries is up to 90 days, for entry visa with multiple entries for temporary visitors is 30 days and transit visa with single or double entries is 10 days. For instance, entry visa for temporary visitors is valid for 90 days with 30 day duration of stay.
Important note: A foreign national staying more than 30 days in Mongolia must register with the General Authority of Citizenship and Migration of Mongolia in Ulaanbaatar or its local branches within 7 business days of arriving in Mongolia. For more information, please visit the website of the authority: www.immigration.gov.mn